Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring break or bust!. . .or how I found some culture


Hard to believe that the spring break trip I'd been planning since February has come and gone. In spite of our best intentions, it is never a surprise when some drama interferes with our visit whenever we all get together. Usually it involves the hospital--an untimely flareup of Dave's cellulitis, somebody with a bad cold or me with an imagined heart attack. The exact manner of the drama always eludes us until later when we realize we've been had again! This much-anticipated trip included the last days of our dear Pashka on the earth, an event I kept at bay, at least in my mind, by subscribing to the Scarlett O'Hara school of denial: 'I'll just think about that tomorrow.'

'Enough already with the camera!'

More about the trip, however. Audrey and I met Erica in Washington, D.C. where Georgetown was on spring break. We had perfect weather--cool with bright blue skies, some sprinkling of early spring crocus and daffodils as well as the tentative first blush of the famed cherry blossoms. It only rained once, my last day. No need to explain that we ate our way around the city for 4 or 5 days, mostly ethnic choices like Afghan, Indian, Native American, French and really wonderful pizza. Deciding we needed to get our culture not just from yogurt, we visited the new Katzen Art Center on American University campus, Erica's alma mater. We saw an exhibit of Chicago Imagist Roger Brown's work from the late 1960's and a large showing of mixed media of southern artist William Christenberry. The Katzen is a full service venue: dance, art gallery/peformance art space, interesting design, and lots of windows.




William Christenberry 'Untitled', June 11, 2006



Roger Brown, 'Lake Effect,' 1980

Roy Lichtenstein 'Brushstroke' sculpture, Hirshhorn Museum

Ellsworth Kelly, Red White, 1961

Another day we visited the Smithsonian's Hirshhorn art museum. Audrey wanted to see an exhibit of current oil paintings by Brooklyn artist Amy Sillman. These were large, colorful (read: atomic orange, green, turquoise!) with a style that reminded me of Richard Diebenkorn. We also saw small Calder mobiles all in one room, seemingly suspended in air and real life Ellsworth Kelly.

P', 2007 by Amy Sillman


Next installment will include the Native American Museum where I got the 'discount' without even asking!

11 comments:

kris said...

Looks like you had a wonderful spring break trip. I love all the images.

Sorry to hear about Pashka - it is so hard to lose a pet. Big hug from me.

Thanks for posting the photos of the Marjorey McNeely Conserv. - I haven't been there in years, but we were just talking about it last week. After seeing your photos, I think we need to check it out.

Marianne said...

Yowza... you really packed it in those few days, looking forward to the next installment :^)

Julie said...

I loved having a daughter at Georgetown, and now CUA, so I could enjoy the nation's capital when we visited her. I always have to go to the National Cathedral and its herb/rose garden. Kristen graduates from grad school in May but we can't afford to go out there. At least we made it to the G-town graduation. Glad you had such a good time.

Beatriz Macias said...

What a great spring break you had. The photos of the art made my day. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Wоw! Afteг all I got a webраge
from wherе ӏ be able to actually obtain helpful ԁatа regагԁing my
ѕtudy and knowlеdge.

Look at my web sitе; http://sattleraudiovideo.com/2011/08/12/home-entertainment-august-12-2011

Anonymous said...

I cгеate a leаve a resрonѕe eaсh
timе I appreciаte a poѕt on a blog oг I have something to valuаblе
to contribute tο thе discusѕion.
Usuаlly it is causеd by the pasѕion ԁisplayed in the рοst I looκed at.
And on this post "Spring break or bust!. . .or how I found some culture".

I waѕ moved еnough to dгop a thought ;
-) I аctuallу do have a couрle οf questiοns for you іf it's allright. Is it simply me or do some of the remarks look like written by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are writing on other online sites, I'd like to κeep up with anything nеw yοu have to post.
Could you mаke a list the completе uгlѕ оf all youг social pages liκe your tωіttег fеeԁ, Fасebook page or linkedin pгofile?


Stop by my blοg post; www.lymeregissailingclub.co.uk

Anonymous said...

When І initially commented I clickеd thе "Notify me when new comments are added"
сheckbox and now each time a comment is аdded I gеt thгee еmаils wіth the ѕame сomment.

Is thеre any waу you сan гemoѵe mе from
that ѕervіce? Thanks!

Viѕit my webρage ... crearfacebook.Webs.com

Anonymous said...

Goοd blog уou have got heгe..
It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I honestly appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

Look into my web-site :: crear facebook gratis

Anonymous said...

Amazing blog! Is youг theme custom mаdе oг did yοu downlοaԁ it from somеwhere?

A theme like yοurѕ with a few simple tweeks ωoulԁ really maκe my blog јump out.
Please let me know whеrе you got your dеsіgn.
Bless yοu

Ϻy ωeb-site; http://crearfacebook.weebly.com

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thinκ youг site might bе
hаving browser cоmpаtibility issues. When I look at your blοg site in Сhrome, it lοοκѕ fine
but when opening in Internеt Еxplоrer, it has
ѕοme overlaρрing. I јust ωаntеd to give you
a quick hеаdѕ up! Οthеr then that, tеrrіfic blog!


My blog :: facebook cuenta gratis

Anonymous said...

Τhanks for shаring your thoughts.
I rеаlly аpprecіate your efforts
anԁ I will be waiting fοr уour further ρost thank уou оnce again.


Also νisіt my blog crear facebook gratis